Articles Search Results
- What should I ask a prospective tile setter?
Q. I am going to be hiring a tile setter. What kinds of questions should I ask them? By the way, I am in California.A. We asked our Installation Technical Director, Giovanni Lagana of Lagana Tile (www.laganatile.com), what a consumer should ask ... Read More
- What is the proper grout for exterior limestone walkway?
Q. What is the proper grout for an exterior limestone walkway? Is there a dry grout that can be swept between the stone? Where would I look for stonedust? A. The proper grout will depend on how the stone is set. Will it be set in mortar or placed o... Read More
- travertine tile bathroom
Q: I have a 2nd floor shower with moisture resistant sheetrock. I want to put 18" travertine tile on the walls above the pan. Using modified mortar, can these tiles be put on the wall with mortar blobs leaving an air space behind tile or do the tiles... Read More
- Have you ever heard of Doctored Travertine?
Q: In India, I have heard that Travertine stone is doctored by adding a substrate to the base of another hard cheaper stone. How can I know whether it is so without breaking it?A: Many of the black granites from India are darkened with dyes, but to m... Read More
- Is there any way to get glue stains out of terrazzo?
Q. Is there any way to get glue stains out of terrazzo?A. Unfortunately, no. The only possibility would be to try poulticing the stains with a potent paint stripper based on Methylene Chloride. But the quantity of the stuff involved would permanently... Read More
- Solution for Stains on new limestone floor
Q. I bought lagos azul limestone back in December and it is getting installed in sections. I would greatly appreciate it if you could help me. I am hoping you might know a solution or can refer me to someone. My kitchen contractor installed the tile ... Read More
- What to do about holes in travertine tile
Q. We had travertine tile installed 1 1/2 years ago and I had a hole open up and it is gradually getting bigger and now a 2nd hole has opened up too. Don't know what has caused it? Need to know how to fix it? We had it sealed when it was done... How ... Read More
- Can cement tiles or ceramic tiles be installed on top of Corian or Avonite?
Q. Can cement tiles or ceramic tiles be installed on top of Corian or Avonite? I am restoring a kitchen on a tight budget, and I prefer to cover the existing countertops vs rip out and replace. A. Yes, you can install them directly over the Cor... Read More
- Sanded or Un-sanded Grout on Dimensional Stone Floors
By: Mike Marsoun NuLife Stone Care (www.nulifestonecare.com.au) I have noticed an alarming trade practice here in Australia which desperately needs to be addressed. The root of this problem is the same as in the US where you will find ceramic ti... Read More
- The shine on our travertine marble floor has not looked even since it was installed. Many areas have dull spots. The installer told us this was characteristic of the stone, but I’ve noticed that a local hotel has the same travertine, and it loo
Your installer is correct. Most travertine contains many holes that are filled with a cement filler. The cement filler does not take a shine when polished. There are fillers that can be used that will take a shine, however. If you are lo... Read More