Articles Search Results
- Iron stains and stones
Q. The floor of my shower stall is covered with grouted sliced stones on mesh. The contractor sealed the floor with a "wet-enhancing" sealer about 3 years ago. I've noticed that the lighter stones have become rust-colored. (We have hard water and a w... Read More
- Why White Marble Turns Yellow: Causes and Cures
Fred M. Hueston, PhD Sitting in my office one morning I received a call from a very upset home builder. He told me he was building a two million-dollar home on the west coast of Florida. They had installed nearly 3500 square feet of a white st... Read More
- What is the recommended maintenance program for marble flooring?
Q. Greetings, On commercial sites, such as a restaurant or main entrance lobby of a concert hall. Initially it will be clean, but afterwards. What is the recommended maintenance program and how often? What product and steps are recommended. A. ... Read More
- Gray Limestone that continuously stains from wine, juice, etc.
Q. We have been doing work in a hotel with over fifty rooms. They have gray [limestone] countertops for their in-room bars and the same stone for their large bathroom floors. They want a polished finish on the countertops and a matte (non-slip) finis... Read More
- We have Italian marble on the lobby floors in our commercial office buildings. Recently, we have noticed several problems: 1. Entire tiles are evenly discoloring yellow or grey and 2) Rust-like stains are appearing in an area near the door. What is c
The yellowing and graying of certain Italian and Greek white marbles is a common problem that I see all over the world. There are several possible causes for this condition: Maintenance technique: Take a close look at your maintenance progra... Read More
- Resin on marble table top cracking and peeling
Q. The resin coating of our Knoll Saarinen marble top table has been cracking for the last one year. We don't know what to do. Any advice? A. Some manufacturers, such as in your case, will use resins to create a topical rather than natura... Read More